Saturday, May 12, 2007

That damned liberal girlfriend


I had an opportunity to speak with state Representative Chris Crider (Republican) at the Governor's Luncheon in Humboldt on Friday. I know Chris pretty well, we talk from time to time about local politics, projects on which the city is working, and just gossip. We're not personally close, but we're friendly. It's always fun to talk to him.

I'd been "working the room" as my aunt says and I found Chris at the head table. I wanted to say hello, but I also had a serious question or two to ask, so I made sure to seek him out. He saw me and smiled as I walked onto the dais. He stuck out his hand, gave me a firm handshake, and grabbed my shoulder. Suddenly he looked sort of frightened -- almost hiding behind me as he glanced around.

I thought perhaps something was happening behind me -- something I might need to worry about or someone I needed to avoid. I looked at Chris, concern in my eyes, and said, "What's wrong? Who are you looking for?"

"That damned liberal girlfriend of yours! Where is she?" he asked.

"She's not here and she's not my girlfriend... besides, she thinks you don't like her, especially after you dodged the two of us at the Chamber of Commerce Banquet," I replied and laughed as I said it.

Chris, looking relieved, laughed, "Yeah, I like her just fine -- I just don't know what to say to her. I can't talk to her."

Imagine! A politician, a friendly kind of guy who always has something to say to everyone rendered speechless by a twenty-three year old math teacher!



Technorati Tags: , , ,

No comments: