Friday, November 09, 2007

Bluetooth

I broke down right after my birthday and bought a bluetooth headset for my cell-phone. It's obnoxious, yes, but it's also addictive. The thing is feather-weight; I won't say I don't notice that it's there, but it's certainly better than any other cell headset I've ever used. And CONVENIENT! I simply press a button on the side of the headset and say the name of the person to whom I wish to speak and TA DA.. I'm connected. I don't even have to find my cell-phone -- it can be in my briefcase behind the car seat or even across the room. Truly amazing. Oh... and I can use the stupid thing with the computer and with my desk phone too.

Bluetooth headsets are becoming ubiquitous. You're not a yuppy without a bluetooth headset. You're not successful unless you have a bluetooth headset. Whatever.. I just think it's incredibly useful.

More than ever, though, I find myself talking into the air, waving my hands, and seemingly acting insane. People stare -- yes, they do. If they see the tiny little headset perched on my ear, they may get the picture, but elseways they think I'm just nuts... Lots of people think I'm nuts anyway; I'm used to it.

It *is* horribly rude to use the thing in restaurants or overmuch in public. It's useful driving, walking down the street, etc, but I'm not about to sit in the Toot-N-Tell-It talking on my bluetooth headset. While the sound quality is acceptable, one does have to speak up a bit to make certain the person on the other end can hear you. This louder than normal tone isn't appropriate for places you're going to hanging around very long. You should piss people off and then move on... Don't use it in church, at the funeral home, in a restaurant, the doctor's office, on the bus, on the plane, etc....

See this hand video for tips on dealing bluetooth nerds in restaurants:

 

No comments: