Monday, May 28, 2007

Autoharps and "music"


My cousin James W. Harrison ("Jimmy") brought me an Autoharp a month or two ago. I'd told him that I wanted to learn to play the guitar so he brought TWO guitars and this handy little rhythm instrument made my Oscar Schmidt.

I've not mastered the guitar yet. I'm working on it -- not nearly hard enough, probably. The Autoharp, however, is a dream to play. I think knowing something about music if helpful -- chords and such, but I suspect anyone could learn given the time. Mother Maybelle Carter is the best known player, I think, but there are many more.

So, I'm playing the thing fairly regularly. I copied some pages from one of Lindsay's bluegrass books and can play all of them. I've got some Hank Williams, Sr. books that are lots of fun.

My reviews, however, are mixed. Justin says I'm doing great (and that makes me feel good). The few times I've played for my parents, they just want me to sing along -- I don't think they know the songs. Lindsay just laughs (which hurts a bit, I think, but maybe she's laughing for joy at my talent -- yeah, that's it).

Here's a rough sample... What do you think? (Just hit the play button.)

Justin and I have played in church once and just messed around with the AutoHarp and Piano a few times. I'd like to get a string band of some sort together. I need a guitar player and a banjo picker. I think the undertaker from Rutherford would probably play upright bass, if I asked him. Lindsay doesn't seem very receptive to fiddle playing, but perhaps someone (other than me) could work on her.

I'd never heard of an Autoharp (or at least thought of one more than a second) before seeing the movie Walk The Line. What are/were your impressions? Lots of people seem to think it's an instrument for grade-school teachers (and I know several that do play), but isn't really a serious instrument.

Technorati Tags:, , , ,

No comments: