Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Loving your neighbor

Justin asked a question on his Facebook a couple days ago, "What one thing have you learned today?"

I answered that question: "The way we treat the people we like the least is the best measure of our character."

If you're a Christian, you've probably heard Jesus' take on this issue: "Love your neighbor as yourself," and "Whatever you do unto the least of these you do also unto Me."

That second suggestion is really only relevant if you're a Christian and believe in putting Jesus/God first, of course. There's also the Golden Rule, "Do unto other as you would have them do unto you."

I dunno. I've been reminded lately, both at work and in my personal life, that we need to treat everyone with the love and respect that we hope to receive. Just because we *can* treat someone like crap doesn't mean we should -- even if there are no consequences (but you know, there are consequences and repercussions to every action). Just because we are set above someone or hold some power over them doesn't mean we should use it, it doesn't mean we should take the opportunity to demean or degrade them.

One of the most innocent and truly good and simple people I know in this world (other than Samuel) has been seriously abused this last few weeks by someone in authority over them. It's not fair, it's not right, and there's not a damn thing I can do about it. It breaks my heart, it makes me want to weep, but I'm powerless here (I think). I keep thinking time will make this just "go away", but this abuse, this demeaning condescending attitude that's directed toward this simple and good person keeps rearing its ugly head. I want to fix everything, but I can't -- I know, I know.

No comments: