Friday, August 03, 2007

The day turned dark


I’ve been dealing with some pretty serious crap lately (literally). I won’t elaborate, but it suffices to say that I’ve been stressed. Don’t fret about me though, I’ll be okay. It’s not bad stress, just lots of it. I’ve been pretty much at peace lately. Hoo rah.


My day had been full yesterday. I’d worked at my desk much of the day, trying to finish projects that never seem to get finished. Trying to empty my “in” box even as Judy was shoving more stuff on top. The end of the day came and I was tired.


I find myself sitting on my couch just after 5:00 and the phone rang. It was Justin and he asked me where I was. His tone was curt and cold and I wondered what was wrong. “It’s distinctly possible I’ve pissed him off,” I think to myself. I’d talked to him earlier in the day, but one never knows. I screw up all the time.


No. Justin wasn’t mad at me. He was calling to tell me that a student at Gibson County High School had collapsed on the field during football practice. They’d rushed him to the hospital but he’d been unresponsive and in fact had passed away just minutes before Justin called.


As Justin told me this, matter-of-factly, as he told me who it was, I was shocked. I was amazed. I didn’t weep or cry. I said, “Oh God”. That was pretty much it.


The day turned dark.


This young man was the younger, baby brother of a guy, John, who graduated from High School with me. He was almost exactly a year younger than Samuel. John and I had baby brothers at the same time. I remember offering him advice when his brother was born; babies were new things to 8th graders.


I called my parents last night. My father said nothing for a few moments and then quietly told my mother. Over the telephone I could hear her sobs. I told my father to take care of my mother and that I’d be over shortly.


I won’t laud the young man, though he probably deserves it. He was a good kid; a genuinely good kid, so far as I know. I was always pleased to see him.


I am reminded that life can change in a moment. We can be snatched away from our loved ones in the blink of an eye. They can be snatched away from us in an instant. Death is no respecter of age, health, position, power, or wealth. We must cherish our friends and family. We must love them and let them know we love them. We must love and accept love.

No comments: