Friday, June 01, 2007

None for me, thank you, I'm sucking toads


Damien Rice - 2879
Originally uploaded by mjecker.
I had a chance to see Damien Rice in concert tonight. I could have seen him from seats in the first few rows, center, at the Orpheum Theater in Memphis.

I knew he was coming to Memphis several months ago and I mentioned to a friend of mine, a concert promoter, that I'd like some good seats. My hope was that she could finagle me some orchestra seats, fairly close, at a good price. She called last week and left me a voicemail: "Hey, I've got you some tickets. Dead center somewhere in the first 10 rows. Call me back." I didn't call her. I knew already that I would be in Conway this week.

I suppose I could have driven from Conway to Memphis tonight, but it would have been irresponsible and a fairly arduous journey. I also knew that I probably couldn't find anyone willing to put up with the hassle of meeting me there under such strange circumstances. Adrienne might have met me, but...

So, Damien is singing in Memphis and I'm in stuck in the home of the Toad Suck Daze Festival. "No, no tickets for me, please, I'm sucking toads in Arkansas." I thought about calling Andrea (my friend with tickets back) with that reply. I thought again and it occurred to me I might need tickets to something else and I shouldn't make a joke of refusing the tickets. Thank you for the offer, Andrea, perhaps next time.

You know when you've found it,
There's something I've learned
'Cause you feel it when they take it away
- "Amie" by Damien Rice


Technorati Tags:, , ,

No comments: