Sunday, July 02, 2006

This is my song...

I was given the opportunity to sing at the Community Gospel Singing that's part of our local 4th of July celebration. Here are my remarks given before I sang my second song:

We live in the Greatest Nation in the World.

All we have, every day, every gift, and indeed every nation and all people are creations of God. Jesus is the sovereign lord of not only our town and of the state of Tennessee and of the United States, but also every nation and every person in the whole world.

Today, as they have throughout the history of our nation, American fighting men and women are creating, keeping, and defending peace in lands all over the globe. Our prayers are and should be with these warriors because they are fighting on the front lines of a war for peace and freedom. They are fighting for peace and justice in our name.

And, while their fight is just, we know that true peace -- the Peace that Christ died to bring us and the world -- cannot be achieved until the whole world acknowledges that he is Lord of all.

On this 4th of July, let us pray for Peace in our lifetime -- and let us pray that Christ will be lifted up and that all will some day serve him and that we can live as one under his banner of love.

Here are the lyrics to the song I presented, "This Is My Song":
This is my song, O God of all the nations
A song of peace for lands afar and mine
This is my home, the country where my heart is
here are my hopes, my dreams, my holy shrine
but other hearts in other lands are beating
with hopes and dreams as true and high as mine

My country's skies are bluer than the ocean
and sunlight beams on cloverleaf and pine
but other lands have sunlight too, and clover
and skies are everywhere as blue as mine
O hear my song, O God of all the nations,
a song of peace for their land and for mine

This is my prayer, O Lord of all earth's kingdoms
Thy kingdom come; on earth thy will be done
Let Christ be lifted up till all shall serve Him
and hearts united learn to live as one
O hear my prayer, thou God of all the nations
myself I give thee; let thy will be done.

The song is set to the tune of "Finlandia".



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed that hymn. The pianist was something else. What a good looking man too!